[cobbler] Cobbler uses DHCP instead of a static IP

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 27 20:46:31 UTC 2012

May I suggest you to check the following?

0. Do you use ISC DHCP server, or the dnsmasq? Does cobbler manage it?
1. Have you used cobbler system getks --name=... to check your rendered
   kickstart file? Do you see the desired IP in the rendered version?
2. Have you used cobbler cobbler system dumpvars --name=... to examine
   all variables?
3. Have you checked your installation log and see what the actions
   have been taken for your installation?

Typically, after the above four steps, and assuming for 0, you have
*really* acquainted yourself with the respective man page of the
two DHCP servers, you should be able to make a static IP assignment
for Red Hat alike systems without a hitch.

Per my first hand experience, with Red Hat alike systems, static IP
address assignment is quite doable. For Debian/Ubuntu, the presence
of a DHCP server *NOT* under your control does take some doing, but
still doable.

Worst comes to the worst, you have the cobbler built-in configuration
management features come to your rescue. I have found that the
'Template Files' attribute for both profile and system objects,
together with the bundled download snippet, as the last, but very
reliable, resort.

In fact, I use this mechanism for assigning static IP
address to Debian/Ubuntu nodes (both physical and virtual) even when
I don't have control (or prefer not to control) the existing DHCP
server . Works like a charm.

Regards,

-- Zack