[cobbler] cobbler 2.4.0, Fedora 17, eth0 and em1

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 20 19:07:05 UTC 2012

> Thanks Greg,
>
> > this has been discussed before and IIRC the theory is
> > that the scripts deal w/ whatever you name the interface when
> > you add it to the system. If you add an interface named 'em1' it
> > would configure and interface 'em1', just like for 'eth0'.
>
> I will review these network configuration related snippets
> more carefully, and then redo my tests. During my today's tests,
> for simplicity, I simply used a --kopts to disable the
> behavior.

I just did a quick test.  I confirmed your hints with

0. cobbler system getks --name=...
1. cobbler system dumpvars --name=...

The only issue that I encountered so far is that with an existing
system object, I can't change the Interface attribute with --interface=em1.

I had to first delete said system object, and recreate one with a
'cobbler system add'.  Is there a quicker way to do such modification?

At work, we deal with CentOS 6.x, SL 6.x, Fedora 17, and Ubuntu
{11.10..12.10} - mostly KVM guests running on hosts using RHEL.

I can script the above, but even with scripting, having the ability
to quickly change interface name should come handy.

Regards,

-- Zack