[cobbler] cobbler 2.4.0 and problems booting Ubuntu 12.10 desktop 64bit

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 19 00:58:21 UTC 2012

More positive results 8-)

[...]
> Regarding the desktop issue, if I can't get it installed
> using regular preseed, I have the following two approaches
> that should work:
>
> 0. Use the d-i preseed/late_command, perhaps writing a new snippet
> 1. Replace the /etc/apt/sources.list with a copy that
>    consists of the regular Ubuntu repos, and then combine with
>    a firstboot script to get the UI installed.

1. worked flawlessly ;-)  cobbler's built-in configuration management
capability is quite handy in this regard.

> Still, lacking a common meta package name such as
> ubuntu-desktop makes even both the above a small challenge.

Actually, the meta package ubuntu-desktop is there. I must correct
myself in this case.

The focus of my recent testing has been on cobbler 2.4.0 (from
epel-testing) CD/DVD import support for the latest x86_64 Fedora,
RHEL, and Ubuntu. This is the main reason why I have been trying
to accomplish everything with what's available directly from an
employed ISO file.

It seems that as long as a correct ISO image is selected, cobbler
2.4.0 from epel-testing is already doing a better-than-beta job.

Regards,

--Zack