[cobbler] cobbler 2.4.0 and problems booting Ubuntu 12.10 desktop 64bit

Andrew Hamilton ahamilton55 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 22:52:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Zack Perry <zack.perry at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> [...]
> d-i apt-setup/services-select multiselect security
> d-i apt-setup/security_host string security.ubuntu.com
> d-i apt-setup/security_path string /ubuntu
>
> The first time, I tried to PXE boot the test netbook, it came up with just
> a text login window like the result for server. No graphical UI. So, I
> added in the following lines to see if I could trigger such an action:
>
> d-i pkgsel/include string openssh-server \
> lubuntu-artwork \
> lubuntu-artwork-12-10 \
> lubuntu-default-settings \
> lubuntu-icon-theme \
> lubuntu-lxpanel-icons \
> lxmenu-data lxpanel \
> lxsession \
> lxsession-data
> d-i pkgsel/language-pack-patterns string
>
> I did so because Ubuntu 12.10 and its derivatives such as lubuntu no
> longer provide the ubunutu-desktop meta package that existed until
> 12.04.1's main/u/ubuntu-meta
>
> But now the debian-installer complains (Alt-F4):
>
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: Package lubuntu-default-settings is not
> available, but is referred to by another package.
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: This may mean that the package is missing, has
> been obsolted, or
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: is only available from another source
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target:
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: unable to locate package lubuntu-artwork
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E: Unable to locate package
> lubuntu-artwork-12-10
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E: Package 'lubuntu-default-settings' has no
> installation candidate
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E: Unable to locate package lubuntu-icon-theme
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E: Unable to locate package
> lubuntu-lxpanel-icons
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E: Unable to locate package lxmenu-data
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E: Unable to locate package lxpanel
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E: Unable to locate package lxsession
> Nov 18 17:29:54 in-target: E: Unable to locate package lxsession-data
> Nov 18 17:29:54 main-menu[417]: WARNING **: Configurating 'pkgsel' failed
> with error code 100
> Nov 18 17:29:54 main-menu[417]: WARNING **: Menu item 'pkgsel' failed.
>
> But, upon examing the loop mounted lubuntu-12.10-alternate-amd64.iso, all
> of them are available!
>
> [root at cobbler l]# pwd
> /mnt/pool/universe/l
> [root at cobbler l]# ls
> lame lubuntu-artwork lxinput lxsession
> ldm-ubuntu-themes lubuntu-default-settings lxkeymap lxshortcut
> leafpad lubuntu-meta lxlauncher lxtask
> lightdm-gtk-greeter lubuntu-software-center lxmenu-data lxterminal
> linux-wlan-ng lxappearance lxpanel
> loudmouth lxappearance-obconf lxrandr
>
> I think that I enabled the universe in my preseed. So, why the
> debian-installer was complaining? IMHO if we can figure out a way to
> trigger the installation of the lubuntu desktop, then we can close this

You might want to check the dists folder and make sure that you have a
"universe" folder in there so that it is able to get package listings.

I played with this a bit this weekend as well. I ended up getting a minimal
mirror of the Ubuntu packages needed setup but it requires a bit of work to
get going.

First I downloaded the quantal dists folders from a mirror. Then, I had to
create a package list of the squashfs image on the installation disk as
well as a list of packages that failed to install during a test
installation. It isn't ideal but it is a possibility for getting 12.10 up
with a subset of the repository (thought I've only tested the server
install so I can't really help you with the desktops issues here). If
anyone is interested I can send out instructions on what I did.

Regards,

Andrew