[cobbler] cobbler 2.4.0 and problems booting Ubuntu 12.10 desktop 64bit

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 17 04:08:16 UTC 2012

Hi James and Andrew,

Thanks for your two's follow-up.  Looks like it's probably a good idea to file a bug report upstream to Ubuntu to Debian's Installation Team? Personally, I think what Ubuntu has done qualifies as a "bug".

> I played around with the 12.10 images today. I've been able to
> get past the error that you were hitting by using the netboot
> kernel and ramdisk. The desktop DVD also requires that you pull
> down the debian-intaller directory as well.
>
> The installation still fails as it goes to install the system.
> It ends up looking for a "live image" and since it's a netboot
> it can't find any. This only happens when netbooting and using
> a mirror that is simply a rsync of
> the DVD.

Yes. I got that one too!

> If you point the installation to a full mirror such as
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu the installation goes through
> without issue. It looks like Ubuntu has changed the way that they
> are installing the system no matter whether you are using a server
> or desktop DVD.
>
> I'm stumped on whether or not there is any way to continue using
> the Ubuntu CDs for starting mirrors with cobbler.
>
>> That's interesting, it would be nice if they would be considerate
>>and push a DVD image instead that would work as expected.
>
> Yeah I totally agree. It did find a set of DVDs but they only
> contain the sources for the release which won't help us.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

Gentlemen, please give me a few days. I still have a couple of ideas
to try out before we give up on Ubuntu 12.10 and later completely. I
have a couple of other ideas to try out. Will report back to the list.

Regards and have a great weekend,

-- Zack