[cobbler] cobbler 2.4.0 and problems booting Ubuntu 12.10 desktop 64bit

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 16 00:18:11 UTC 2012

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the pointer!  I found it too and spotted an oddity: It seems that Ubuntu has introduced a new utility: cobbler-ubuntu-import that handles importing Ubuntu ISO files correctly.  If so, perhaps we should take a look of it and James, perhaps we should incorporate it?
See also this: http://voices.canonical.com/shang.wu/2011/08/31/oneiric-ubuntu-orchestra-server-provision-server-setup/
I am going to download Ubuntu cobbler package and check it out.  Will report back to the list.
Regards,
-- Zack
[...]
Here is a relevant Ask Ubuntu entry that seemed to have helped the user though it looks like you have found the same issue.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/204786/unable-to-install-12-10-with-pxe

Basically like you found you need to mirror the ubuntu-installer directory for this to work.
The Ubuntu Desktop CD is usually assumed to be the CD you won't use if you want to netboot things. Most would go with the server install or the alternative CD for such a task.

Regards,
Andrew [...]