[cobbler] Cobbler 2.4.0, Ubuntu 12.04.1 64bit server == not using local repo?

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 04:22:27 UTC 2012

Hi James,

I am guessing that my setup is a very unusual one.  I am doing all my testing of the 2.4.0 from epel-testing in my home lab (at work we still run 2.2.3).  My home has AT&T Uverse, with a 2Wire 3600HGV router. The router has a built-in DHCP server, which is really awfully limited :-(

But, attempting not to be disruptive to my family members, I choose to run dnsmasq 2.63rc3 in proxy mode (the key word is pxe-service. See dnsmasq's man page at http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

The result seems to be that some "magic variables" even take on the values that they should be taking (I know so; as I have a habit of using cobbler system getks --name=... and cobbler system dumpvars --name=...).

I have been unable to set static IP address in /etc/network/interfaces and desired hostname in /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts so far.  I am trying to fight this intransigence of the silly 2Wire DHCP server via the 'Template Files' attribute of the system object.  I should know in about another hour or so. The netbooks that I used for testing are slow like snails :-( But they use very little power...

I will let the list of my outcome.

Regards,

-- Zack

That's very odd, these work fine for me when using the master branch which should not be that divergent from the release24 branch currently. I'm going to be merging the signature branch in with master and release24 soon, and that branch definitely seems to work great with Ubuntu, so I'll double check for this popping up at that time.