*paid install help?*: Cobbler on a OpenVZ container / "dhcpd" failing

Bob Cochran bcochran13 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 13 00:47:20 UTC 2011

Frank,

First let me make a disclaimer: I don't have much experience with
virtualization, but I do have some. That experience is a bit rusty. I
don't have much experience with cobbler, but I do have some. That
experience, too, is rusty. And I'm accordingly rusty with networking as
it applies to virtual machines. A little reading tonight has helped me
understand more about that. With all that said, I think I can give you a
pretty good analogy that makes your goal easier to understand.

Let's imagine you are in New Jersey at Hazard's Dock in the year 1870
and you look across the Hudson River towards New York. You realize that
day that one can save a lot of time in going to and from New York if
only there were a bridge across the river there that pedestrians,
horses, and railroad traffic could use, and ships could still pass under.

Well, the VPS ethernet connection is like Hazard's Dock that year: real
busy, but no packets are getting to New York yet. Think of the landing
point in New York as the ethernet connection of the physical host
computer. No packets from that are getting to New Jersey, either. They
are waiting for a bridge so they can cross and there can be two way
traffic over the river. You want to allow ethernet traffic to pass
between the host computer's physical ethernet adapter and your virtual
adapter on the VPS. That will let networking happen. That in turn will
let DHCP services happen.

Now the person who made the post you are referencing on the OpenVz
forums is talking specifically about a CentOS 5.2 kernel. The CentOS
kernels are all based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions. So the
kernels are all generically "Red Hat" kernels. The poster for that
checked the Red Hat Enterprise Linux documentation for building an
ethernet "bridge" adapter between the VPS and the physical ethernet
adapter on the physical host computer (eth0). Red Hat has loads of
documentation for their Red Hat Enterprise Linux product; and CentOS
points to it on their website at http://www.centos.org/

Is your host kernel a Red Hat-produced kernel? If not, you will have to
consult the documentation for your specific host kernel for how to build
a bridge ethernet adapter. That is one of the issues here, I think.

So, what kernel are you running on your host computer? And what kernel
are you running for your VPS? With a bit of study of the documentation
for these kernels, you should be able to code and test a network bridge
between the two.

Bob