Cobbler on a OpenVZ container / "dhcpd" failing

Frank support at server-1.com
Sun Jul 10 01:53:10 UTC 2011

Hello All:

Does anyone have an explanation or experience setting up Cobbler on a
OpenVZ container / VPS that runs Fedora 14?
In 2009 someone on this list was so very kind to help me setting it
up on a VPS with an older version of Fedora... now I had to move to
new hardware, unfortunately, and the older install fails (all other
VPS that were moved work). And a NEW install from scratch also fails.

NEW install -- cannot get "dhcpd" to run, and the "cobbler check"
also gets me the usual iptables warning. Wasn't able to solve either
problem.
Anyone has done that -- to install Cobbler on a OpenVZ container?

The migrated OLD install -- "dhcpd" does run on that one, but
"service cobblerd restart" gets me below error.

Any suggestion?

Best,
Frank

[root at cobbler ~]# service cobblerd restart
Stopping cobbler daemon:                                   [FAILED]
Starting cobbler daemon: Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/cobblerd", line 76, in main
     api = cobbler_api.BootAPI(is_cobblerd=True)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cobbler/api.py", line 127, in __init__
     self.deserialize()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cobbler/api.py", line 688,
in deserialize
     return self._config.deserialize()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cobbler/config.py", line
206, in deserialize
     serializer.deserialize(self._distros)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cobbler/serializer.py", line
122, in deserialize
     rc = storage_module.deserialize(obj,topological)
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cobbler/modules/serializer_catalog.py",
line 189, in deserialize
     obj.from_datastruct(datastruct)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cobbler/collection.py", line
152, in from_datastruct
     self.add(item)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cobbler/collection.py", line
233, in add
     ref.check_if_valid()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cobbler/item_distro.py",
line 235, in check_if_valid
     raise CX("Error with distro %s - kernel not found" % (self.name))
CX: 'Error with distro CentOS54-64-bit-xen-x86_64 - kernel not found'