clean use of cobbler/kickstart and cfengine

David Lee David.Lee at ecmwf.int
Fri Jul 1 16:14:05 UTC 2011

Wes Hardin wrote:

> [...]
> Except for the Puppet part ;-), Jonathan is exactly right.  But I'll try to
> expand upon that with a real example.
>
> The guts of my Kickstart are mostly just for determining disk layout and package
> selection.  The %post section is just enough to get Cfengine installed,
> bootstrapped, and executed.  Cfengine takes care of all the customization done
> to the machine.  Any other configuration done before the %post is susceptible to
> being changed by Cfengine later.
>
> %post --interpreter=/bin/bash --log=/root/post-install.txt
> ntpdate 10.18.30.50
> hwclock --utc --systohc
> rm -f /etc/yum.repos.d/*
> $yum_config_stanza
> echo "COBBLERSERVER=$server" > /etc/my_cobbler_server
> $SNIPPET('post_yum_installs')
> $SNIPPET('post_cfengine')
>
> It breaks down like this:
> [...]

Wes, Many thanks for this!  It was exactly the sort of thing I was
looking for to help glue the whole lot together.  (Initiate a network
install on a set of machines; go away for a coffee; return and find all
machines running fully configured, with cfengine already in action.)

Since writing my email, I had sketched for myself one possible structure
for doing it; your email has revealed a slightly different structure
which will be a great help to me.  Thanks.

--
: David Lee
: ECMWF (Data Handling System)
: email:  david.lee at ecmwf.int