Wiki port of manage docs now up / edit away!

David Lee David.Lee at ecmwf.int
Thu Dec 22 15:49:07 UTC 2011

Greg Swift wrote:
> So... when I was redoing the web interface one of the things I had in my
> mind was that it would be nice if there was more on the "welcome" page
> than just a welcome.  My thought was to have a generic description of
> the left hand menu items, but since you are working on this document, it
> might be kind of kewl if the simple start here was replicated in the web
> ui.  Even if the links just point back to the online documentation?
> [...]

Regarding: "Even if the links just point back to the online documentation?"

It's probably not that simple.  At many sites the cobbler (web) server
may be firewalled off from the Internet.  So the documentation would
need to be locally available.

Given that (in the Redhat world, at least), we already have RPMs for
"cobbler" and "cobbler-web", perhaps there should also be an RPM
"cobbler-docs".  The source of its data would include pages (or
transformed pages) from the wiki; the installed destination of its data
would be appropriate points in the system's own man pages, info pages,
and website.  (That, of course, is a very high-level, blue-sky,
hand-wavy, sketchy overview, deliberately avoiding fine detail at this
stage.)

-- David Lee