Wiki port of manage docs now up / edit away!

David Lee David.Lee at ecmwf.int
Thu Dec 22 15:00:40 UTC 2011

Michael DeHaaan wrote:
>   For those that are interested in helping with docs, manage docs are
> now ported over to the Wiki, in a few parts.
>
> https://github.com/cobbler/cobbler/wiki/Start%20Here
>
> This is pretty much most of the manage, which I think should stay more
> or less together.   If you split things into too many Wiki pages, it's
> hard to absorb things via osmosis.  I would like to mix the examples in
> closer to the job though and incorporate more examples throughout, so if
> you're a new user you don't get bored/confused and wonder what commands
> you actually care about running. [...]

Great!  Thanks, Michael.

As this is a "Start here" document, it should be simple and clear, and
avoid unnecessary detail, particular in its opening stages.

I began editing it...

...but ended up almost completely rewriting the opening sections,
through to and including the opening paragraphs of "adding
distributions".  The emphasis is on getting a complete beginner started
with something, anything, and avoiding unnecessary detail.

I haven't really addressed the remainder of the document; my changes in
the remainder are mostly cosmetic, improving heading/subheading
structure, etc.

Returning to "adding distributions".  While the original man page had
thoroughly documented "cobbler distro ...", it hadn't (by contrast) got
a section on "cobbler import ..." at all.  So I have begun to structure
this "adding distributions" sections to cover these related topics.  But
I strongly suspect that most of the options for "distro" also apply to
"import", so it probably needs further restructuring to clarify this.

(By the way, more generally, I'm not yet convinced that every last
detail of every last option for every last command belongs in a "Start
here" document...)

-- David Lee