redhat "rescue mode"?

David Lee David.Lee at ecmwf.int
Fri Dec 16 14:42:53 UTC 2011

Jörgen Maas wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Michael DeHaan
> <michael.dehaan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure I've ever seen this red countdown screen.   Are you talking
>> about graphical install mode?
>>

> I think he means the RHEL6 splash screen.

Yes (happens to be RHEL 5.6 in my particular case).

In normal operation, the one that gives you a few seconds (counting
down) before the default boot happens.  (If you interrupt it, you can
then edit grub lines to get single-user, rescue, etc.)

But, as we type, I think I'm making some progress.  So this reply is
really just a positive "ack".

1.  There's a significant element of "local problem".  We clone our
cobbler set-up to replica servers on a daily basis, so we actually have
multiple (usually identical) installations, including DHCP.  Our system
registrations are purely static, so the replica DHCP, in our case,
wouldn't normally matter.  But, of course, my experiments fall outside
that "normal", as they are frequently diddling with the primary DHCP
server.  It looks as though one of the slave DHCPs was responding first,
so negating my carefully crafted experiments.  OOPS!

2.  Having addressed that, it now looks as though:
       cobbler system edit ... --kopts="rescue"
is doing what it should.

3.  I still think there's a lack in the documentation.  So I intend to
try to document something in the wiki, taking into account that:
  (a) a Redhat user would be searching for the word "rescue";
  (b) cobbler's design and strategy is OS-agnostic;
  (c) real examples are often helpful to end-users.

Many thanks again for your thoughts and assistance on this.

--
: David Lee
: ECMWF (Data Handling System)
: email:  david.lee at ecmwf.int