PXE boot a (DOS) Live CD

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:26:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Mann, Owen <Owen.Mann at interactivedata.com>wrote:

>  PXE is just DHCP & TFTP set up a certain way, as far as the server side.
> The PXE bootloader and MEMDISK are part of the SYSLINUX package. Create an
> image object in Cobbler, select the "memdisk" image type, and enter the
> full path of the "suppl_tau/boot.img" file in the "file" box.****
>
> **

OK, but I still need a bit more detail - sorry for being thick.

Originally what I did was mount my ISO as loopback and then use the cobbler
import, which stuck it into

/var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/SF2250/

Where "SF2250" is the name I gave it.  I quickly realised this did not get
me far and also that "ks_mirror" was probably not where I wanted that.

But from what you are saying, I guess I do want the ISO extracted into my
filesystem somewhere, right?  To me it makes sense to put it under
/var/www/cobbler somewhere, but not under ks_mirror unless you folks think
otherwise.

My problem now seems to be that the "images" feature does not have any
documentation to go with it.  The man page sends you to the old wiki and
the "AllAboutImages" page, which does not have a lot of detail.  The new
wiki does not seem to have that page so I am not sure where to go to figure
out what other things I have to specify for this image.

Where should my blown-open ISO live in my cobbler server filesystem?
How do I point the image at it?

Those are the big two questions.  Though to begin with before I hear back
from anyone I will just re-import into ks_mirror and create an image which
points at boot.img in there and see what happens.  Maybe it will figure
everything else out.

thanks,
-Alan