Smart tftp server...

Scott Henson shenson at redhat.com
Thu May 27 15:00:55 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Douglas Kilpatrick's message of Tue May 25 09:21:01 -0400 2010:
> I've coded up a tftp server (using tornado's ioloop) that also talks
> with cobbler.  My hope is to use it to replace the system's tftp server,
> to simplify sync operations and allow more flexibility in booting and
> installing alternate operating systems.
>
> Code is available at http://github.com/kilpatds/cobbler, changes are
> limited to one file: scripts/tftpd.py
>
> Right now, it just looks in template_files to see if it should perform
> any templating, otherwise it loads files from /tftpboot (well, from the
> "prefix" option, which defaults to /tftpboot).  It expands templates via
> templar, and uses XMLRPC to talk to cobbler.
>
> If this is of interest, are there any suggestions about where to start
> increasing integration?  Long term, I'd like to have it handle
> pxelinux.cfg stanzas, but I would also like to keep special-case
> business logic outside the program.

This sounds fantastic.  It would be nice if it could understand
distros/images and systems.  In that case we could eliminate sync for
most things (dhcp and dns would still need it, but those are
optional).  Do you think this would be possible?
--
Scott Henson
Red Hat CIS Operator