new cg-manager gui tool for managin cgroups

Jason Baron jbaron at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 14:36:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 07:01:30PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 15:20 -0400, Jason Baron wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been working on a new gui tool for managing and monitoring cgroups, called
> > 'cg-manager'. I'm hoping to get people interested in contributing to this
> > project, as well as to add to the conversation about how cgroups should
> > be configured and incorporated into distros.
> >

> As a high-level comment, I don't think 'cgroup management' is a very
> compelling rationale for an end-user graphical tool.
>
> For most people it will be much better to expose cgroup information in
> the normal process monitor. For people who want to use the specific
> cgroup functionality of systemd, it will be better to have that
> functionality available in a new service management frontend.

I've thought that displaying at least the cgroup that a process is part of would
be nice in the system monitor as well.

I think its a question of do we want to make users go to a bunch of
different front end tools, which don't communicate with each other to
configure the system? I think it makes sense to have libvirt or
virt-manager and systemd front-end be able to configure cgroups, but I
think it would be also nice if they could know when the step on each
other. I think it would also be nice if there was a way to help better
understand how the various system components are making use of cgroups
and interacting. I liked to see an integrated desktop approach - not one
where separate components aren't communicating with each other.

> The only role I could see for this kind of dedicated cgroup UI would be
> as a cgroup debugging aid, but is that really worth the effort,
> considering most cgroup developers probably prefer to use cmdline tools
> for the that purpose ?

The reason I started looking at this was b/c there were requests to be
able to use a GUI to configure cgroups. Correct me if I'm wrong, but  the answer
is go to the virt-manager gui, then the systemd front end, and then hand edit
cgrules.conf for custom rules. And then hope you don't start services in
the wrong order.

thanks,

-Jason