tricky spec failure

James Bowes jbowes at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 13:37:07 UTC 2011

Hey all:

For the past few days I've been trying to track down the spec test
failure in " Entitlements should bypasses rules for "candlepin"
consumers"

I've been able to reliably reproduce this failure, but only on a full
run of 'buildr spec' (not limiting just to that test or that spec file),
and only right after a full deploy with GENDB=1 and TESTDATA=1. When I
run a second time, it passes.

The direct cause of the failure is an ISE when attempting to bind by
product, from not finding an entitlement that grants the provided
product id.

Now, there should be an entitlement that grants the requested product,
but it never appears because refresh pools is failing. I haven't yet
tracked the original cause of this failure, but it never gets reported
to the client (who just assumes the refresh passed, and continues
along). Even more interestingly, it seems as if the job keeps getting
run by pinsetter.

I've tracked down the commit where this first starts happening,
1ce24a780... which is just an addition of more test data. I've got no
idea why it would cause this.

My suspicion is that this is some really nasty bug in refresh pools, so
I'm going to keep digging. If anyone has any ideas, let me know :)

In addition, it would be good to fix the ISE from bind by product, and
to communicate the refresh pools failure in the job status.

-James