Functional tests as User Stories

Devan Goodwin dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca
Wed Mar 3 15:24:49 UTC 2010

The Java functional tests evolved first, they're kind of a hybrid, no
deployed Candlepin required, you have access to the database for setup
purposes, but then (I think) they fire up a servlet container
internally (Grizzy?) and test against that. Some benefits to this but
this doesn't catch problems that sometimes surface in Tomcat/JBoss.

Personally I'd prefer we port them to Python suite. (or something else
should we replace that) I like testing this outside against a full
environment as we can technically point it anywhere. It will clutter
up the database (and thus should never be run against an important db)
and is a little harder to inject setup data (but this basically just
boils down to uploading a cert right now), IMO we need that kind of
external testing to have some degree of confidence that this thing is
working.

I'd vote we boil testing down to just Java unit tests, and Python nosetests.

As for Cucumber it's blowing my mind and I don't yet see how it even
works. :) Have to dig into it.

Can QA fit either solution (Cucumber/Python tests) into their automated systems?

Cheers,

Devan

Devan Goodwin <dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca>
http://rm-rf.ca