HATEOAS: Candlepin is not

Dmitri Dolguikh dmitri at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 16:56:40 UTC 2010

On 03/01/2010 12:27 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> OK.. Candlepin is not HATEOAS
> (http://www.infoq.com/articles/rest-introduction.. see the linking
> discusssion). Why/Why not..... discuss.
>
> -- bk

believe it or not i thought of that a few weeks back. i'm not completely
sold that providing links to individual entities is the *only* way to
go. otoh, http 1.1 (& the ability to keep http connection open in
particular) will alleviate some of the performance issues.

having said that, if we want to have a truly generic set of api (that
can serve any client), we may want to consider returning uri's instead
of actual data in our queries.

another thing that caught my attention in the article is the use of
queries:
http://example.com/products?color=green

the way i'm currently interpreting this is: if you want to query your
data using a non-unique identifier, you can do that by passing
parameters on the url. i think i like that!

-d