functional tests

wes hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 13:59:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:48 -0500, Jesus M. Rodriguez wrote:
> I investigated trying to get buildr to generate the .classpath
> correctly given we moved
> long running tests to src/functionaltest/java. buildr gets the src
> directories from the
> ones defined by the compile task which defaults to src/main/java and
> the test task
> which is src/test/java.
>
> buildr has the notion of integration tests as well as unit tests. You
> can also include/exclude
> based on class name or package.
>
> So we could put all functional tests back in the src/test/java tree under the
> org.fedoraproject.candlepin.functional package name (or something unique enough
> to allow exclusion)
>
> Then we could add this to the buildfile: http://pastie.org/841381
> And change the test to exclude that package.
>
> Ok if we do this how do I use this stuff? quite easily, to run unit tests we do
>
> buildr test
>
> to run integration tests we do, you guessed it
>
> buildr integration
>
> This will do a few things:
>
> 1) .classpath will not need to know about src/functionaltest/java,
> therefore work again
> 2) functionaltests will not slow down normal unit test runs
> 3) we still get the ability to have long integration tests available
> and can run them separately.
>
> What does this NOT fix? I still haven't figured out how to get buildr
> to use something like target-eclipse for
> outputing .classpath instead of target/classes. I think there is a way
> it just wasn't obvious.
>
> jesus

The functional / integration tests you are referring to are
in /candlepin/proxy/test right?  Or are you guys talking about another
set of tests?

I was reading about how to get python unit tests to log results in a
similar fashion as junit.  The only benefit there would be that we could
track the results of "buildr integration" via hudson.  Right now we are
only running "buildr test"

Here is that link:
http://redsolo.blogspot.com/2007/11/hudson-embraces-python.html

Thanks!