Packaging Candlepin as an RPM

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Apr 5 13:22:24 UTC 2010

On 04/04/2010 09:28 PM, Jesus M. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Adam Young<ayoung at redhat.com>  wrote:
>
>> After doing the work using gem2rpm, I realized that we could do the same
>> kind of thing for the Java dependencies that don't have RPMs in Fedora.
>> The Maven repos tend to havea source jar with a standard naming
>> convention right next to the binary jar, and the pom file has most of
>> the info required by the RPM:  License, version, dependencies, and so
>> on.  I've started working on a pom2rpm script that produces a spec
>> file.  And, to make Jesus happy, I wrote it in Ruby.
>>
> I honestly would've preferred it be in python to better integrate with
> tito if need be.
>
> As far as ruby goes I'm not convinced about it :), and if there was
> a pyldr (buildr in python) I would've totally went with that instead of buildr.

Actually, I did in Ruby becasue I felt the need to get a better grasp on
the language because of builder.   But the code is pretty generic, and
could be translated to a different language trivially.  Bascially it is:

Read in a pom into xml-simple and use the hashes produced to populate a
spec file.

I don't see this as being run on an ongoing basis, but instead being
used as a way to kickstart the process of generating all of the spec
files we'll need for the libraries required by candlepin.  It falls into
the Unix small utility to do a specific task category.  I'll post for a
code review once I've gotten at least one working set of RPMs out of
it.  And by set, I mean thge three or four RPMS we'd need for one Java
project:  Source, binary, doc.  A stretch goal is to meet the letter of
the law for the Fedora Java packaging standards, and to help the Maven
efforts as well.