[Beaker-devel] API design for harness independent system reservations

Matt Jia mjia at redhat.com
Wed May 14 23:36:45 UTC 2014

Sorry, I messed up the comments. I clean it up here.

> And then my latest proposal simplifies the names to omit the implied
> "completed" status from the last 3 entries, and make it explicit that
> the final option covers every possible outcome of running a recipe by
> referring to it as "always" rather than "onpass":
>
>     * never
>     * onabort
>     * onfail
>     * onwarn
>     * always

> My confusion was mainly rooted in the ordering idea that you proposed. If we were to consider each
> state either on it's own (first implementation) or a combination (second implementation),
> it is less confusing as far as I see it. The first implementation is not powerful enough.
> The second implementation allows dubious combinations which may not have a meaning - we would then
> just have to trust the submitter to do the right thing.

> However, if we were to implement the ordering, "onfail" also including "onabort" muddies things, for example.
> "always" is an exception, since it just means always, really and so is "never". But having a ordering between
> "onabort", "onfail" and "onwarn" is what I am not very clear about.

I agree with amit, I donnot see any point of having a ordering between "onabort", "onfail" and "onwarn here.

Based on my understanding, correct me if I am wrong. To determine whether or not the system is actually reserved
in the relevant situations:

 - never =  never reserve system
 - onabort = reserve system if the recipe status is onabort
 - onfail = reserve system if the recipe status is oncompleted and the recipe result is onfail
 - onwarn = reserve system if the recipe status is oncompleted and the recipe result is onwarn
 - always = reserve system in regardless of the recipe status and result