[Beaker-devel] Postponing scheduler related design proposals?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu May 8 05:05:41 UTC 2014

Ray has been doing some background research on ways to potentially
improve Beaker's scheduling architecture, and that mainly ended with
recommendations to look into taking advantage of the Apache Mesos
meta-scheduling framework (https://mesos.apache.org/). That seems like a
plausible direction for us to go, so I'd like to suggest that we put the
scheduler redesign related design proposals on hold for the time being.
Specifically, I'd like to mark the following proposals as deferred
pending further research into Mesos:

https://beaker-project.org/dev/proposals/system-pools.html
https://beaker-project.org/dev/proposals/event-driven-scheduler.html
https://beaker-project.org/dev/proposals/effective-job-priorities.html

Between OpenStack integration, migrating the inventory task to lshw (and
supporting running it on RHEL7), the system page redesign, improving the
management and reporting of reservations and loans, etc, etc, I think
there are plenty of other proposals to keep Beaker moving forward in the
meantime :)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Nick.