[Beaker-devel] First draft of reservations design proposal

George Beshers gbeshers at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 19:48:42 UTC 2013

Food for thought.

I've been following this thread with some interest because
I had been wondering how best to handle SGI's machines
in a remote beaker lab.

There are a few fundamental problems:
1) The machines are sometimes unique -- only one exists, period.
     The result is that at certain times the machines must be available
     to particular users -- customer/trade show demos for example.
2) They often require hours of continuous time which, particularly
     during bring up and major OS releases means scheduling
     evenings and weekends --- engineers are arranging their sleep
     schedules to take advantage of certain time slots.  Random
     start times for reservations won't work.

What seems to be lacking in beaker is *Hard Start Times* which
implies hard-end-times.

So for example, if we put a 4 rack UV system (2048 cores, 16Tb of
memory) in beaker it is not just going to stay there; it will be pulled
back inside SGI's firewall on a regular basis.

I was hoping that reservations would address this issue.

Thoughts?
George