[Beaker-devel] New sub-command to list access policy for a system

Dan Callaghan dcallagh at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 07:32:52 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Amit Saha's message of 2013-09-24 17:17:22 +1000:
> I noticed that there is no sub-command to list the existing policy for a system, so
> tried writing one [1]. My primary objective is to of course having it as a sub-command,
> unless there was another reason other than time that it wasn't added earlier.
>
> The second objective is to use it as the second example in our developer guide
> to show how you expose controller methods and write a client to access it.
>

> Example usage:
>
> # bkr policy-list --system beaker-test-vm1 --hub http://localhost/bkr --username admin --password foobar
> {
>   "rules": [
>     {
>       "everybody": true,
>       "permission": "control_system",
>       "group": null,
>       "id": 1,
>       "user": null
>     },
>     {
>       "everybody": true,
>       "permission": "reserve",
>       "group": null,
>       "id": 4,
>       "user": null
>     }
>   ],
>   "possible_permissions": [
>     {
>       "value": "edit_policy",
> . ..
> . ..

I like it, my only suggestion would be to accept a --format option like
the other commands. It would have --format=json for machine parsing, and
a tabular/linear format that is friendlier for humans and grepping.
Perhaps --format=text which spits out just a list of rules, one per
line:

    Group beakerdevs has permission edit_policy
    User asaha has permission reserve
    Everybody has permission control_system

> The authentication bit is not required I suspect.

Not sure what you mean... No reason to require authentication on the
server side, no.

--
Dan Callaghan <dcallagh at redhat.com>
Software Engineer, Infrastructure Engineering and Development