[Beaker-devel] Questions regarding DHCP/DNS requirements for IPv6 support

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 25 06:15:45 UTC 2013

This is mostly aimed at Amit (since he's been looking into this lately),
but I've been pondering exactly what is needed from an environmental
point of view to enable testing of IPv6-only systems directly within Beaker.

My current understanding of the supporting config Beaker needs to
support this is below, so my general questions are: a) did I miss
anything?; and b) is anything I have listed wrong?

* Main beaker server

- needs both A and AAAA records assigned in DNS
- needs to serve the task library yum repo over both IPv4 and IPv6

* Lab controllers

- need both A and AAAA records assigned in DNS
- beaker-proxy needs to listen on both IPv4 and IPv6 (implemented in 0.14.4)
- TFTP server needs to be serving over both IPv4 and IPv6

* NTP servers

- need to be accessible over both IPv4 and IPv6

* Test systems

- need both A and AAAA records to be assigned by DHCP
- need to be given both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for the NTP servers

As far as I am aware, we don't do "push" communications from the LC or
the main server to the test systems, so we don't care if the test system
only has IPv4 or IPv6 enabled.

With this model, the following test scenarios should all be possible
directly within Beaker rather than requiring external resources:

* IPv4 only

- system is provisioned with an IPv4 only OS, or explicitly has IPv6
support turned off
- connects to LC, NTP and main server over IPv4
- users must ssh in over IPv4

* IPv6 only

- system explicitly has IPv6 support turned off
- connects to LC, NTP and main server over IPv6
- users must ssh in over IPv6
- implicitly tests IPv6 only client -> IPv4 or IPv6 server handling
- to test interaction with IPv6 only server, use a multi-host test

* IPv4 or IPv6

- system has both IPv4 and IPv6 support enabled
- connects to LC, NTP and main server over IPv4 or IPv6 (OS/client app
dependent)
- users can ssh in over either IPv4 or IPv6 (OS/client app dependent)
- implicitly tests IPv4 or IPv6 client -> IPv4 or IPv6 server handling
- to test interaction with IPv4 only server, use a multi-host test
- to test interaction with IPv6 only server, use a multi-host test

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan