[Beaker-devel] Beaker git repo restructuring

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 08:06:03 UTC 2013

Over the last few months, it has become clear that as we changed the
branch lifecycle for the main Beaker repo, several of the things that
had previously lived in that repo no longer belonged there.

To that end, Dan has now broken out three new git repos on
beaker-project.org:

beaker-core-tasks: these are the tasks needed for various Beaker features

    /distribution/install
    /distribution/inventory
    /distribution/reservesys
    /distribution/updateDistro

This will also be the eventual home for the guest recipe tasks once
their open sourced properly.

beaker-meta-tasks: these are Beaker's self testing tasks, and any other
tasks we create to figure out correct settings for Beaker

    /distribution/beaker/Sanity/bz880440-fqdn-self-reporting
    /distribution/beaker/Sanity/sync-set_block-tests
    /distribution/beaker/custom_kickstart
    /distribution/beaker/dogfood
    /distribution/beaker/fake_systems
    /dsitribution/beaker/import
    /dsitribution/beaker/setup

Finally, beaker-administrivia is the home for some utility scripts we
use to keep Bugzilla, Gerrit and the core team's internal task tracking
in sync (these initially lived under the Misc directory in the main
repo, but having them vary by Beaker version doesn't make any sense).

There's still some more cleanup to be done next week (setting up Gerrit
notifications, updating the developer guide), but the bulk of this
change is now complete.

We're also working on decoupling the release cycles for beah and the
standard tasks from the main Beaker release cadence. Since they're much
easier to update than Beaker itself, there's a potential opportunity for
faster turnaround times for fixes if we can streamline their release
processes.

Cheers,
Nick.

--