[Beaker-devel] GitHub releases for peripheral/related projects

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 18 06:29:57 UTC 2013

On 11/18/2013 11:22 AM, Dan Callaghan wrote:
> Excerpts from Amit Saha's message of 2013-11-15 16:19:37 +1000:
>> Okay, so how does this sound:
>>
>> 1. Tag a new release
>> 2. "Announce" a release using the Web UI
>> 3. Get the tarballs from the GitHub repo and simply scp them to the above URL
>> 4. Link the GitHub release announcement from the Beah docs and link to the tarballs
>>    above.
>>
>> Perhaps the whole thing can be automated with the help of [1].
>>
>> [1] http://developer.github.com/v3/repos/releases/
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I think we need release notes ("announcements") in the beah docs, not
> just on GitHub, otherwise we are locked in to GitHub's proprietary
> release process.
>
> All it needs is a new page "Changes" or "Release Notes" in the beah
> sphinx book, with a new entry added each time a new version is tagged.

Yeah, something light, similar to an RPM changelog or the basic release
history I publish for side projects:

http://contextlib2.readthedocs.org/en/latest/#release-history

When we split out the tasks repo, we should use a similar structure
(i.e. create a ReadTheDocs project and include a change history for the
individual tasks).

> The process should just look like:
>
>     vim documentation/release-notes.rst
>     git add documentation/release-notes.rst

Missing a "git commit" here :)

>     tito tag
>     git push origin master beah-123
>     # some magic here to get the tarball published under
>     # http://beaker-project.org/releases/

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Testing Solutions Team Lead
Beaker Development Lead (http://beaker-project.org/)