[Beaker-devel] Exposing the the host's hostname to the guest

Dan Callaghan dcallagh at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 08:12:09 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Dan Callaghan's message of 2013-07-09 18:08:46 +1000:
> Excerpts from Raymond Mancy's message of 2013-07-01 17:19:47 +1000:
> > The change to beah should be even more minimal:
> >
> >   -    GUEST_ATTRS = ('system', 'mac_address', 'location', 'guestargs', 'guestname')
> >   +    GUEST_ATTRS = ('system', 'mac_address', 'location', 'guestargs', 'guestname', 'hostfqdn')
>
> I'm pretty sure this bit of code relates to producing the
> comma-and-colon-separated value of the GUESTS env var which is
> deprecated and quite frankly a useless nightmarish mess. GUESTS is not
> really usable since version 0.10 anyway.
>
> So the beah side will be more work than this one line. But still not too
> hard :-)

... or we skip beah altogether and say that the preferred means of
fetching this info is to talk directly to the LC, which is effectively
what we did with the GUESTS env var. But that was only really
a temporary stop-gap, and I think we need to come up with something
better just because it's a fairly awful API to force people to use
(since they have to parse the XML).

--
Dan Callaghan <dcallagh at redhat.com>
Software Engineer, Infrastructure Engineering and Development