[Beaker-devel] Ending RHEL5 client RPM updates?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 07:31:33 UTC 2013

The Beaker 0.15.2 release won't have an associated RHEL5 client RPM
update - it turns out we have a conditional expression (if/else) in the
current client code, and that's a syntax error on Python 2.4.

It isn't actually a functional loss for any users running the client on
RHEL5, since new Beaker CLI commands don't work in the RHEL5 client
anyway - they all rely on the requests module, and that is Python 2.6+ only.

So, the question at this point is: do we just declare 0.15.1 the last
RHEL5 compatible client release, and promise to maintain backwards
compatibility of the XML-RPC interfaces it relies on until we're
prepared to drop RHEL5 client support entirely? This would mean checking
that the client commands in 0.15.1 client all still work with new server
releases, but those tests could be run on any client system rather than
needing to be specifically run on RHEL5.

The alternative is to start testing RHEL5 more consistently earlier in
the development cycle, and that seems like a lot of work for next to no
gain.

Cheers,
Nick.

--