[Beaker-devel] A style guide for Beaker?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 1 07:05:01 UTC 2013

Bringing a conversation from IRC to email :)

Currently, the dev guide has a few style hints in the "Source-code
walk-through" section. I had missed them because "walk-through" really
doesn't suggest "style guide" to me :)

We also have a few migrations in process that mean that existing code
isn't always a good guide to the style that should be used for future
patches, so I think it will be worth our while to spend some time
cleaning up this section of the dev guide.

Firstly, I think we should retitle this section "Source components and
style guide". It's more than just a source code walk-through :)

Things we should cover:

- the migration from non-declarative to declarative SQL Alchemy models
- the migration from TG1 to Flask (once that is reality)
- the migration to using ActivityMixin for activity log updates
- the migration of permission checks from the view layer to the model layer
- direction to use TG1 validators for TG1 views (what will we use for
Flask? Flask-WTF?)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Testing Solutions Team Lead
Beaker Development Lead (http://beaker-project.org/)