[Beaker-devel] Test framework for lshw

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 1 02:02:19 UTC 2013

On 08/01/2013 10:00 AM, Dan Callaghan wrote:
> Excerpts from Nick Coghlan's message of 2013-08-01 09:57:14 +1000:
>> On 07/31/2013 09:34 PM, Amit Saha wrote:
>>> However, with this approach I think the difficulty is to run tests for all archs (that we have in testdata)
>>> on any arch. That is, I cannot run test the functionality of lshw with arm test data on a x86_64
>>> system and vice-versa. The reason being, lshw uses compiler macros heavily during the compilation process
>>> and hence the lshw executable has to be built on the arch on which it is to be tested. [1]
>>>
>>> [1] http://sourceforge.net/p/predef/wiki/Architectures/
>>>
>>> Thoughts and suggestions?
>>
>> Given the arch specific binaries, wouldn't we have the same architecture
>> dependence problem with any other means of injecting test data for the
>> "wrong" platform?
>>
>> This means I'm still inclined to run with the chroot based testing.
>> Local testing during development would cover x86_64, and then we can
>> spin up a job in beaker-devel to make sure it works across all supported
>> architectures.
>
> Beaker is probably overkill for this. The test suite should only run
> tests for arch it is running on, then we should set up the tests to run
> in %check during RPM build. That way all the tests will be run when Brew
> builds for every arch.
>
> The downside is that the only way to run all tests is to submit a Brew
> scratch build (which is still lighter weight than a Beaker job though).

Added bonus is that it will be easy for Fedora to run the tests
cross-platform (through koji), regardless of whether or not I can talk
them into setting up a Beaker instance :)

However, if the test is going to be in %check, I believe we will need to
do the work to get the dynamically linked version running in the chroot.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Testing Solutions Team Lead
Beaker Development Lead (http://beaker-project.org/)