Minor bug fixes and improvements to 0.4.1-1

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Sep 22 06:18:51 UTC 2010

----- "James Laska" <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 15:44 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > ----- "James Laska" <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > = conflicts test failures =
> > >
> > > 1) Failing to find packages or mirrors
> > >
> > > This appears to be a result of running the test in a different
> > > environment.
> > > When run previously, download.fedoraproject.org would result to
> an
> > > internal Red
> > > Hat mirror which was (for the most part) always updated and
> accurate.
> > > With our
> > > tests now running in Fedora infrastructure, we are at the mercy
> of
> > > MirrorManager to provide an appropriate mirror.  It seems that we
> > > rarely get an
> > > updated mirror.  I have 2 proposed solutions to this problem.
> > >

> > I have also noticed problems with MirrorManager, I get an outdated
> > mirror quite frequently when testing. The question is - how is that
> > possible? Isn't that a bug? Isn't a sole purpose of the
> MirrorManager
> > to ensure I actually always get an up-to-date mirror? If that's the
> > case, we should simply request a fix for MirrorManager. Does anyone
> > know how it *should* work?
> >
> > Anyway, for performance reasons, it would be nice to download from
> > our fast internal mirror, sure.
> >
> > (But I'm still puzzled about the MirrorManager giving outdated
> mirrors.)
>
> Great questions Kamil.  We've temporarily resolved the problem by
> ensuring we get a known-good mirror.  But your questions remain.  I'd
> need to check-in with folks from the infrastructure team for
> thoughts/guidance.

I just realized that maybe MirrorManager just gives you any mirror from
the list and only yum itself checks whether it is up-to-date or not, and
switches to another repo in the latter case.
Since we do a lot of stuff without yum, then we obviously don't have this
feature.

I have to consult someone from releng.