proposal: deprecate using raise error.TestFail

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Thu Sep 9 18:50:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 15:03 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 07:41 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to propose that we stop using those autotest-internal TestFail
> > and TestWarn exceptions.
> >
> > What will change:
> > 1. We no longer see red/purple boxes in autotest frontend.
>
> Hah, I was thinking the same thing when inspecting the autotest tko
> results viewer.  It's hard to distinguish between a successful test run
> that found problems, vs a test case failure.

Yeah - I think this would clean things up significantly for us, and is
therefore a pretty great idea.

But I wish I knew why the autotest developers originally decided to use
these exceptions rather than return values from the tests - surely there
was some good reason for that design, and I'd like to know what we're
losing by discarding it.

-w