suggested cloud platform

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 15:16:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 04:10:09PM +0200, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have taken a look at OpenStack now and try to compare it to a
> solution with Aeolus/oVirt.
>
> I wonder which real benifit OpenStack has over Aoelus/oVirt.
>
> Could one of you perhaps point out the limitations of the latter?
>
> From my observations, the complete provisioning and image handling
> process could be done very well with Aeolus.

I honestly haven't done a lot with OpenStack, and haven't done anything
with oVirt, so take this with a grain of salt. :)

Really, though, I'm not sure that it's an apples-to-apples comparison. I
tend to see OpenStack and oVirt as the same type of concept, with Aeolus
being a cloud-agnostic management layer that can work with oVirt _and_
OpenStack. Some have described us a "cloud broker."

After a few online articles trying to compare Aeolus and OpenStack, I
threw this wiki page together:
https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Aeolus_vs_OpenStack

So, while Aeolus + oVirt is a totally valid combination, it's not like
it has to be that _versus_ OpenStack. You could just as easily set up
Aeolus to use OpenStack[1] and oVirt. And in doing so, you'd gain things
like the ability to define one image that could be pushed to both
providers, etc.

Is this helpful?

-- Matt

[1] We don't actually have solid support for this yet, but hopefully
will soon.