Code Climate

Martin Povolny mpovolny at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 10:17:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:05:23PM +0100, Imre Farkas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I came across a new service called Code Climate which provides
> code metrics based on static analysis of the code. It is only for Ruby and
> it's free for opensource projects. I added Conductor and it gave the result
> back in a minute. You can check them at:
> https://codeclimate.com/github/aeolusproject/conductor

I have added my copy of conductor a couple of days ago:

https://codeclimate.com/github/martinpovolny/conductor

I am pasting the link so that you can see more features of Code Climate
-- the "getting better" / "getting worse" part looks interesting.

> It also has an activity feed which is now empty but as soon as new commits
> will be added to Conductor it will be evaluated and will appear in the feed.
> You can subscribe to it via RSS or we you can receive updates via email. By
> doing that you will receive immediate feedback of your code.
>
> I think it's a pretty awesome service and I would like to take one step
> further. Ideally, we could use this site with the intent to improve our code
> quality. Currently, a huge part of our business logic is concentrated in a
> few classes. It's already causing headaches for us and it will just get
> worse. Martin also wrote about the need to refactor certain parts of our
> codebase [1], with which I completely agree.
>
> To handle this issue we could allocate a small portion of every sprint from
> now on to refactor the worst part of Conductor. Using Code Climate, we can
> identify hot spots easily (not that it would be hard on our own) and we will
> receive instant feedback on our effort.

I would tend to agree, but I am not sure that explicitly saying: "Now I
will refactor this." at each sprint is a good approach. Sure you are not
suggesting exactly that, but I just want to point that out.

I see it more like making refactoring a common part of the work:

Doing it when hitting into some code smell while working on an feature
or a bug.

Thinking about refactoring when planning the work on a feature like the
API and the delayed launch.

Of course you can still say: "Now that I implemented X, I see into Y and
want to refactor it in the next spring."

--
Martin Povolny <mpovolny at redhat.com>
tel. +420777714458