RFC - API: Update of Provider Type

Petr Blaho pblaho at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 16:01:35 UTC 2013

Hi all,

after some good points during sprint planning session
I want to know every opinion about wether implement update action
for Provider Type resource or not.

The point is that updating Provider Type will mean changing of dependent
Providers too. We cannot predict how will API users modify Provider
Type. Change of Credential Definitions for that Provider Type could mean
that all Providers of that Provider Type should be modified/recreated.
And that is a problem.

To make a better idea why user should use Provider Type API imagine
a company with proprietary solution for managing VMs. They have
Deltacloud Driver for their solution and they need to tell Conductor
that Deltacloud has this Provider Type and how to work with it (which
Credential Definitions it has ...)

So, do you see a reason why build update action for Provider Type and
which issues should be addressed w/r/t modifying Provider Type -
Providers associations? Or should I work on other things and save time
implementing feature which probably will have no use at all?

IMHO I cannot imagine scenario where user needs to modify Provider Type
but maybe I am wrong.

Petr Blaho, pblaho at redhat.com
Software Engineer, CloudForms