How to deploy our new jekyll website

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 00:44:53 UTC 2012

On 26/09/2012, at 9:04 AM, Matt Wagner wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 04:51:34AM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
>> On 26/09/2012, at 1:19 AM, Francesco Vollero wrote:
>>>  about re-run jekyll and build the files)
>>>
>>> 2) Create a subdomain called web.aeolusproject.org for github pages
>>>  and our mod_proxy will just redirect us there
>>
>> Hmmm, this one sounds like the best option to me.
>>
>> * seems easy to implement. :)
>> * no broken links for the Redmine content.  Everything still works.
>> * Easy to wind back if things don't work right.
>
> +1 to this. However:
>
>>> 3) Create a subdomain called issues.aeolusproject.org for redmine
>>>  and have all the issues mapped there and the website on github
>>>  (This mean we gonna loose all the link to previous issues)
>
> It would be nifty to also do this at the same time, but set up rewrite
> rules to 301 redirect /redmine/* to redmine.aeolusproject.org/$1
>
> That buys us the ability to eventually move Redmine elsewhere without
> much disruption.

Good concept.  Though, from a practical perspective we're better off
breaking that into discrete, staggered steps.

  ie move www -> web first, do redmine -> subdomain 2 weeks after

If we do it all at once, we're setting ourselves up for a hard time.
When weird errors show up (not unlikely) they're much harder to
diagnose, and rolling back gets that much more complex.

But, the end result you're describing is a good one. :)

> I'm not sure what to use for the subdomain name. I don't love "issues"
> because it sounds negative, like it's just for bugs. (Despite GitHub
> using the "Issues" name.) I like "redmine" a little better, but if we
> upgraded to ChiliProject or something, the name would be really
> confusing. Maybe planning.aeolusproject.org or something? But please
> don't let me derail this conversation into naming!

planning.aeolusproject.org works for me too.

Anyone have objections to that?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--