How to deploy our new jekyll website

Michael Orazi morazi at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 19:24:47 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 26/09/2012, at 1:19 AM, Francesco Vollero wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We (me and Mike Orazi) faced a "tiny" issue with the opportunity
> > to get hosted by github with pages.
> >
> > The problem is that at the moment we have this setup:
> >
> > An apache server with mod_proxy that :
> >
> > on / :  will return our website with nanoc
> > on /redmine : will redirect to our thin server with Redmine
> >
> > Now, if we get hosted by github we will not have anymore
> > /redmine that will be redirected on redmine instance.
> >
> > So we faced three possible ways:
> >
> > 1) Keep the current machine and have the git-hook that will care
> >   about re-run jekyll and build the files)
> >
> > 2) Create a subdomain called web.aeolusproject.org for github pages
> >   and our mod_proxy will just redirect us there
>
> Hmmm, this one sounds like the best option to me.
>
>  * seems easy to implement. :)
>  * no broken links for the Redmine content.  Everything still works.
>  * Easy to wind back if things don't work right.
>
> + Justin

I think we probably want more details this solution.  In particular, I'm thinking:
- what do the current Rewrite & Proxy rules look like? -- in particular, I think we do some amount of Rewriting to move everything over to ssl, which we likely want to keep for redmine, but potentially drop for github.
- what else is running on the box that we need to think about w/r/t Rewrite/Proxy stuff?
- what will the next set of apache rules look like?
- how would we test this? (should be simple, but let's be explicit)
- how do we roll back if we make a mistake?  (presumably it will be make sure we keep the old rules around, put them back in place, restart apache but it is worthwhile to think it through to make sure we haven't missed anything)