Please pick up my OpenStack task!

Angus Thomas athomas at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 15:55:47 UTC 2012

On 09/24/2012 04:04 PM, Jan Provaznik wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 11:00 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm going to be in a training session all next week, which means I won't
>> be able to work on Aeolus. While a week away from the project breaks my
>> heart enough, I had a great task going to try to get OpenStack support
>> finished up, and unfortunately I didn't get far. I'm hoping someone
>> wants to pick up where I left off next week.
>>
>> The task is https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/issues/3814
>>
>> I posted a blog post on Monday about where I got; I never got any
>> further. See http://ma.ttwagner.com/aeolus-and-openstack-todays-status/
>>
>> There is a known-good internal OpenStack server I got an account on. I
>> forwarded my credentials there to Angus to share if someone does pick
>> this task up.
>>
>> #858030 is still outstanding and blocks further progress; it still has
>> an open pull request. If you can get that ACKed, you can move onto the
>> really fun stuff -- trying to build and launch images! (With the patch
>> applied I was able to import and launch an existing image, but then
>> totally unrelated local breakage with dbomatic kept me from getting any
>> further.)
>>
>> I've got the boring stuff out of the way. (And Oneiroi did much of the
>> heavy lifting quite some time ago.) Now that the boring stuff is out of
>> the way, will one of you pick this task up while I'm out next week?
>> Success can be yours! I don't want to see this one fall by the wayside
>> again.
>>
>> Best,
>> Matt
>>

> Hi Matt,
> thanks for pushing this forward. After brief look at this I have some
> good news and bad news. Good news first:
> It's quite easy to make Conductor working with Openstack for imported
> images, what is missing:
> 1) there is a bug in current dc-core rpm (1.0.3-1.fc17) so getting of
> instance details doesn't work properly. Though this is already fixed
> in master branch, so it should be OK once 1.0.4 is released.
> 2) Once an openstack instance is stopped, it disappears from server
> immediately so dbomatic gets "not found" response when checking state,
> IOW the instance doesn't stay in 'stopped' state on server. For
> vanished instances dbomatic will have to check if last instance action
> was stop request and if so mark such instance as stopped (though this
> solution is far from ideal).
>
> Bad news:
> Openstack is not supported in imagefactory-1.1, it's supported since
> imagefactory-1.2. And there were significant changes in API between
> these versions. We would have to do many changes in current Conductor
> code to  make it 1.2 compatible. So build+push support is blocked by
> IME integration into Conductor - IME is "1.2 ready" so once it's
> integrated this should work too.
>
> Jan

It seems to me that having working support for openstack, with the
ability to launch multi-instance deployments etc., with the caveat that
you have to start with imported images, rather than building & pushing
images, is still a pretty good place to be, for now at least.

Jan, how much can we improve the issue with instance state reporting
whilst IME integration is coming along?

Angus