Aeolus Community-Building Meeting #2 Notes

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 20:05:41 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Yesterday we had our second ever Hangout to discuss building and growing
the Aeolus community, and how to better share news about our project. A
number of people attended; thanks!

I wrote a blog post[1] so that this will appear on the Aeolus Project
blog[2], but I'm going to duplicate the meeting recap section below so
we can discuss it more extensively here.

The video from the call is here (39 minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LC58nFzYAc&feature=g-upl

Here's a summary of what was discussed, though:

* Mo Morsi gave a preview of his upcoming talks on Aeolus. He put the
slides on the Aeolus Presentations wiki page[3].

* We should have a release calendar on our site, and also make sure to
make noise (on our blog, and on Twitter/Facebook/etc.) about our
releases.

* It would be valuable to look at integrating with CloudStack and
documenting how to use it. Google Compute / Google Cloud Platform, too!

* Our templates site is a really good idea that needs to be finished
up and launched. The template repo[4] Justin set up is a good interim
solution.

* It would be interesting to look at integrating with other sources of
templates, like Bitnami or CloudFormation.

* In general, we really need to support more providers, and finally
arrive at a complete API.

* Justin has been working on getting OpenShift Origin running on
Aeolus. This would be an excellent blog post, and maybe a good marketing
angle.

* Sponsoring "drinkups" seems to work well for attracting interest,
though it's not clear if there's actually a good return on it.

* Someone suggested cotton candy at booths. I love that idea. Cotton
candy kind of looks like a cloud, too!

* Stickers and flyers are a must. We need to get a ton ordered.

* We should do more with social media. We have a Facebook page[5] and a
Google Plus page[6], and we're @aeolusproject on Twitter, and we have a
blog[7]. But we don't make extensive use of them. What we really need are
others to blog about us, retweet us, and share our stuff on Facebook.

* We need to get people to take these tasks and commit to making them
happen, and we should be in good shape for the next meeting!

That's all I took for notes. Please feel to chip in with things I
missed, or follow up with new ideas and ideas.

Best regards,
Matt Wagner

[1] http://ma.ttwagner.com/aeolus-community-building-meetup-2/
[2] http://blog.aeolusproject.org/