Rails Nested Resource Issues

Jason Guiditta jguiditt at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 20:49:04 UTC 2012

On 20/09/12 16:16 +0100, Martyn Taylor wrote:
>I've created a new topic on the "Ruby on Rails: Talk" forum:
>https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/rubyonrails-talk
>
>I was directed here by: http://rubyonrails.org/community.  If I get
>little response on the forum I'll escalate it to the core list.
>
>Regards
>
>Martyn

So, I have been searching around the intertubes today, and from what I
can tell, passing in <something>_attributes was a deliberate design
decision by the rails team[1].  That doesn't make it suck any less, but
it does indicate that at least we aren't the ony ones to hit this
problem.  I am still quite suprised that more people are not doing
what we want to do here though.  Makes me wonder if perhaps it is more
common to do as lutter and the deltacloud crew have done with cimi,
and not support direct CRUD on nested objects, at least via the api?
Not sure, but I found a couple links I wanted to pass along in case
they are of any help:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4052677/rails-nested-resources-input-vs-output-format-inconsistency
https://gist.github.com/653925
I briefly played with the above gist just now, as it seemed similar to
the proposed before_filter idea we discussed earlier, but it had some
syntax problems, and I don't think I'll have time to get through
cleaning it up for proper testing today.  If the problem remains
tomorrow, I will try to help look some more.

-j

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-core/browse_thread/thread/3c61e00916c365e5/d3d68be5ec9084f5