Rails Nested Resource Issues

Martyn Taylor mtaylor at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 12:20:41 UTC 2012

Gents.

I'm having some trouble with getting nested resources working properly
from bespoke XML/JSON in RESTful API.  There seems to be some
fundamental problems with the way rails works, which means we have to
write a lot of bespoke code to get it working, possibly even having to
monkey patch Rails itself.

I've written an example rails app that highlights the problem and put a
detailed description in the README you can find it here:

https://github.com/mtaylor/Rails-Nested-Resource-Issues

I've ran into this issue on IME.  But it's going to affect us across all
rails projects with REST APIs, so we could do with discussing this issue
and coming up with the best possible solution that results in as little
replication as possible.

Please read through the problem and let me know if you have any better
ideas that the solutions I have proposed.

Regards

Martyn