Musing: Things we need (code-wise)

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 13:28:21 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 09:07:10AM -0400, Aaron Weitekamp wrote:

> >* A good glossary of terms, with examples / use cases. Beyond the fact
> >  that I struggle with some of the terms myself sometimes, it would be
> >  fantastic to be able to have something to point people to when they ask
> >  what realms are or why you would use Environments.
> >
> I've got an initiative to get others using the product internally at
> Red Hat and I think the terms are a barrier. I'll try to put some
> thought into what's needed.

Ooh, getting others to use this within Red Hat is a fantastic idea. It
would be a lot easier for us to get feedback from then from other people
who might be using this and reluctant to let us peek at their
infrastructure.

It might serve dual purposes, if we explained the upstream names ("Image
Template") and the downstream product names used in Cloud Engine
("Component Outline").

> The other thing that really helps is seeing the product scaled out as
> an enterprise might configure it. Then it really starts to make
> sense. We're working on automating this setup (populating with tons
> of users with real-world roles, lots of clouds, deployments, etc.)
> and can demo soon. At some point I'll do a screencast.

This would be really helpful, though what I *really* want to see is how
real enterprise customers are using this thing. It's not always easy to
make guesses about how to implement things without a lot of real-world
feedback.