Musing: Things we need (code-wise)

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 13:20:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 09:07:36PM -0400, Michael Orazi wrote:

> > * Non-ugly Redmine. This is probably more of a pet peeve than
> > something
> >  that has much actual community value. But when I compare our wiki to
> >  something like GitHub wikis, they just look so crisp, organized, and
> >  easy to read. Also, a Markdown plugin since no I'm pretty sure no
> >  one
> >  in the world uses Textile except for whoever created Redmine.
> >

> Would we be better served by moving the wiki portion to be an actual github wiki just like we are looking to do with the site itself?

I'm torn about this.

On its own, I don't think so. My objections to our current wiki are
mostly superficial/cosmetic stuff, and the cost of breaking all our
links as we move to something else is just not worth it for that.

If we were starting from scratch, I'd say we should give GitHub wikis
strong consideration.

If we were to move the aeolusproject.org site to GitHub Pages, this
might make more sense, since we'd need to find a place for this anyway.
But we'd have to do something with the rest of Redmine anyway, unless we
were going to replace it with something else. I think GitHub Issues are
too simplistic for what we'd want.