Deployables API draft, continued

Maros Zatko mzatko at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 16:14:21 UTC 2012

On 10/29/2012 10:50 AM, Maros Zatko wrote:
> Hi folks!
> There's a draft [1] of deployables API I've put together.
> There's a room for improvement though, so please feel free
> and share your thoughts about it.
>
> Thanks for your time!
> - maros
>
> [1] -
> https://redmine.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Deployables

Hi Maros,

 From the UI, today, a person can see the build status of each image and
whether they have been pushed to each provider. How much we need to also
duplicate in the API is unclear to me. At the minimum, I think we should
provide enough information so that the build and push status can be
determined through further API calls.

I see that the image ids are embedded in the deployables xml. They are
just ids and don't point to an image resource in the API. I think we
should do add an <images> field to deployables. It would be read-only
based off of what is in the deployables xml.

<images>
   <image id='51a42ec2-1e5d-11e2-8ad5-52540053d8d3'
href='https://localhost/conductor/api/images/51a42ec2-1e5d-11e2-8ad5-52540053d8d3'></images>
</images>

Deployables.get_image_details may be helpful in generating a list of the
images.

The UI also doesn't present an option to launch a deployable if the
image has not been pushed to at least one provider. From the UI one can
create a deployable that is not ready to launch, and navigate to one is
ready and select launch, but if you end up selecting the deployable that
is not ready to launch on the deployment form, then the UI does display
an error indicating that an image has not been pushed to the selected
provider.

So there are already built in checks to prevent a user from getting into
trouble if they don't themselves figure out the build and push status of
each image in the deployable. For convenience and usability, it would be
nice to have an launchable field, but this could be implemented as phase
2. Even without it, the API would still be usable. What are other's
opinion on this?

Some minor corrections:
* the response under create is missing the catalog.
* show response is missing the owner id
* I could be wrong, but I don't think we need to track the xml filename

Thanks for getting deployables started,

Richard