Tomorrow: Redmine hostname change

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 20:54:47 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Tomorrow at 4pm EST (slightly over 23 hours from when I send this
email), I intend to flip the switch to move Redmine to a new hostname.

Specifically, Redmine's new home will be
https://redmine.aeolusproject.org/redmine

(Yes, the /redmine prefix is remaining, for technical reasons.)

That URL is already (incidentally) accessible. Tomorrow:

a.) There may be brief downtime during the cut-over. (Not if it can be
avoided, though.)

b.) The existing Redmine URLs (www.aeolusproject.org/redmine) will begin
to serve a 301 redirect to the new URL, on the redmine.aeolusproject.org
subdomain. Once the change is live, you should update any
links/bookmarks you may have, because the redirect may not last forever.

c.) Because of technical limitations (multiple hostnames are not
supported via SSL on a single IP), the static still will no longer be
supported in HTTPS mode. (Redmine, of course, will use SSL -- it's
taking over as the SSL vhost on our IP.)

The reason for this move is that we are looking into moving the main
www.aeolusproject.org static site elsewhere (specifically, GitHub
Pages), in which case the /redmine link would suddenly stop working.
Moving Redmine to its own subdomain solves this issue, and helps keep
each app somewhat flexible in any event.

Before anyone asks -- while there has been talk about using GitHub as a
replacement for Redmine (Issues and their wiki), that is unrelated to
this move.

Best regards,
Matt