[RELEASE] branching and tagging the components

Giulio Fidente gfidente at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 23 21:22:21 UTC 2012

On 11/20/2012 05:28 PM, Hugh Brock wrote:
> 1. Each separate upstream needs to be fully testable in isolation from
> its dependencies -- i.e. fully mocked out. We have made some progress
> towards this, I'm not sure if it's complete or not.

I'm currently working on some functional testing for the imgfac REST
interface; I'd like to see this merged at some point, meantime feedback
is *very much* appreciated:

https://github.com/giulivo/imagefactory-tests-restapi

> 2. An upstream with dependencies needs to be integration tested against
> known-good versions of its dependencies. It's probably a Release Cabal
> function to decide what the "stable" versions of deps are and approve
> revisions to those as part of release planning.

back to the basics; I'm trying to get conductor installed via dev-tools
on centos6 (and it's failing with and without rbenv because of bundler
missing)

what version of deltacloud and imagfactory should I provide it with?
'latest' stable from both?

> 3. As far as automated testing goes, it seems to me we ought to
> continuously test changes to each upstream project, but not more than
> one at a time. In other words, Conductor gets CI run against HEAD, but
> with known-good deps. If Conductor requires a dependency updated (newer
> Deltacloud, e.g.) then that Deltacloud version should become the
> known-good for the whole project -- or the Conductor dependency update
> shouldn't be allowed in.
>
> Does that make any sense?

it does to me but still for imgfac it'll be quite difficult to get some
'hosted' imgfac server always on to run the REST tests against so this
is probably going to be somehow more sporadic rather than CI
--
Giulio Fidente