[RELEASE] branching and tagging the components

Giulio Fidente gfidente at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 20 10:38:17 UTC 2012

hi there,

I'm trying to figure out how the branches/tags applied to the components
on github match a release.

I tried to figure out it myself but I'm need of some help and I thought
that discussing this on the list was good idea.

My purpose is to find out which branch/tag one should checkout to make
sure that all the required components will work well together.

Here (which I think is outdated):

https://redmine.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Development_Setup

we suggest to check out the components from master but that can't be a
fixed release in time.

Literature suggests to tag all the components with the same tag to mark
a release but to do this once (and move forward from that point), we
firstly need to find out how the existing tags match to each other, and
this is my question indeed.

If I wanted to checkout today the sources for some 'stable' release,
what should I do?

Also, do you see the idea of tagging all the components with the same
tag a valid approach or are there different suggestions?
--
Giulio Fidente