RESTful API Resources

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 13:55:44 UTC 2012

On 08/11/2012, at 2:51 PM, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
<snip>
> Some clients might be interested in using a specific version of resource representation, others might always want to use the latest.

Sure.  No argument there. :)

Ideally, if a URL is used that doesn't include the version
number it should use a sensible default (ie latest).  This
enables the "user choice" thing.

> Adding versioning to resource urls makes discoverability harder, and requires the client to understand resource url format.

Conversely, having the version selector inside the content
header (instead of being part of a URL) completely removes
the choice thing pointed out above.

Note - I'm not saying it's a killer, it's just you were
asking for thoughts about it.  To me, user choice is
important.  It might not be for the use cases you care
about. ;)

+ Justin

--
Aeolus Community Manager